Many may dismiss instagram as a marketing tool for a younger generation and fast moving consumer brands but statistics and demographics would suggest there is a world of opportunity for companies working in the construction industry.
As of today, there are 80 million architecture, 20 million building and 8 million construction tagged photos on instagram. With a mere 90,000 photos tagged “insulation” there is surely a massive opportunity to lead in this space.
2017 statistics show that:
- 60% of instagram’s 17.2 million users in the UK are above the age of 25
- The age bracket of 18-34 dominates, representing 61% of the total share
- 44% are men and 56% are women
- It was estimated that in 2017 70% of brands will be on instagram
- Engagement with brands is 10 times higher on instagram than on Facebook, 54 times higher than Pinterest and 84 times higher than Twitter
Instagram’s Construction Industry Potential
As a company involved in the construction industry the important word is “potential”
- Instagram membership is growing rapidly and it’s users represent your customers, colleagues and associates of today and the future – It is imperative to get your products and services in front of them
- Re-purposing content. If you are using resources from your website or posting images and content on other social media channels such as Twitter, Facebook and Linkedin minimal effort is required re-use the content on instagram to great effect
- The stats say it all. A lot of construction companies are heavily invested in Twitter, to a point of overload. With 84 times the engagement rate achievable on Instragram, getting involved is a no brainer. There is potential to become a leading influence in the construction industry space
- Tell a Story. Unlike Twitter and Facebook, Instagram allows you to tell a a story about your companies day. Using Instagram stories capture photos and video of your on-site construction project or factory line in action, to maintain a continuous flow of communication to your audience
- With minimum effort you can maintain a regular stream of branded content in the palms of your audience
- Your brand is placed at the top of instagram feeds for maximum visibility and will automatically appear when instagram users are watching their instagram stories
- Influencer Marketing. Heavily discussed in my recent post, influencer marketing is used to great effect by consumer brands that are tapping in to instagram users with 1,000’s of followers. By Identifying the right instagram users (you may already employ them) to promote your business could be a great path to gaining recognition in this space.
Don’t Overlook Instagram
Hopefully this post will inspire you to adopt Instagram in your marketing strategy. Next time I look at how to utilise Instagram to increase brand awareness and build your audience.